The freezer has now become one of the most used appliances, thanks to its ability to preserve food and keep it unchanged. While it was once used above all for industrial use, today it finds more and more space in the home. In reality the refrigerator already contains a freezer, but of small dimensions and, therefore many families prefer to buy an external one. The size, and characteristics of the commercial display freezers, or refrigerators impact on the electricity consumption. At first, you visit this link https://www.phirella.com/, choose the commercial refrigerator you need, and then plan accordingly.
Cockpit freezer or vertical freezer?
The freezing process subjects the food to very low temperatures, so that the water contained within them turns into ice. This physical transformation not only allows a long shelf life, but makes food not lose their nutritional values. Today, this need is more and more frequent given the need to preserve not only the already frozen foods purchased at the supermarket, but also fresh ones, prepared at home.There are two types of freezer to choose from. Let’s see the main features:
Cockpit freezer – The chest or horizontal freezer has a greater capacity and can hold up to 500 litters. If on one side it takes up more space, on the other there are models that can be moved thanks to the wheels with which they are equipped. One of its great advantages is the horizontal opening, which allows a low energy consumption as it limits the dispersion of cold air to the outside.
Vertical freezer – This second type of freezer is very practical, because it does not require much space. Furthermore, it is divided into drawers that allow better food distribution. However the opening times of the device and consequently the energy consumption are greater. Furthermore the vertical freezer has a capacity that can reach 200-250 litters, much lower than the horizontal one.
How to choose the best freezer?
When choosing a freezer, we must take into account several factors, but it is essential to understand what our real needs are. How much space do we have at home? Do we want to consume food over a limited period of time or keep it longer? What types of foods do we want to keep and how much? Essential questions at the time of purchase because they help us in choosing a good product. The ideal temperature for freezing is below 30 degrees and the freezer should be equipped with the 4-star symbol. The number of stars, in fact, allows us to understand the temperature level. 3-star freezers reach 18 degrees below zero, while 2-star ones come below 12 degrees.
For the storage of fresh food it is important to choose the lowest temperature level, because in this way the freezing takes place quickly and without an excessive dispersion of water that can alter the properties of the food. It would also be preferable to choose a device with the “no frost” function, which thanks to the presence of an internal fan prevents the formation of frost on the walls.
Useful tips to reduce freezer consumption
Next to the choice of the freezer that best suits your needs, there are some small tricks that help you save energy because they limit consumption:
- Do not keep the freezer door open too long. The exchange of hot and cold air produced when we open the appliance, if prolonged, dissipates energy. It is therefore very important to always remember to close the door as soon as possible.
- Clean the external parts of the freezer, especially the coil, to avoid accumulations of dust that slow down the operation and therefore produce greater consumption. This operation must be performed when the appliance is switched off.
- Place the freezer in a cool place and if it is in the kitchen keep it away from heat or windows. Leave at least 10 centimetres of space from the wall in front of which the appliance is placed.
- Check the internal gaskets and replace them as soon as they wear out.
- If the freezer does not have an automatic defrosting system, perform this operation as soon as the ice layer becomes denser to prevent its thickness from stealing cold inside.