When top web design firms like Denver website design get hired to design or redesign websites, the most common complaint from clients is that the websites don’t rank well on search engine result pages (SERP). If your website has a similar ranking problem, you’ll learn the reason behind it and the steps you can take to start ranking well.
But first, you need to understand how search engines work.
How Search Engines Work
Take Google (the biggest search engine) as an example. Google uses automated programs called crawler bots to ‘crawl’ through billions of web pages. These crawlers select important content that matches specific and related descriptions and then sends that data to another program that ranks the selected content according to a set of rules. Now here is where your website has problems. Those rules that the automated ranking program works with will change from time to time, but there are certain rules that form the basic framework for the ranking program to work. In no particular order, your website doesn’t rank because:
- It is not SEO-Optimized or Marked as No-Index: Google ranks websites according to their compliance with certain rules that together make up what is called Search engine Optimization. Websites that are compliant with SEO standards are ready to be ranked and make it easy for users to access content on the websites. SEO requires speed, mobile compatibility, and other features. Check Google’s Webmaster full guide on SEO compliance. If Google marks your site as no-index, you will need the services of a web designer to create site maps and indexes.
- It is Not Well-Designed: Web design goes beyond deploying a theme and buying a domain or hosting plan. Great designers go beyond to create websites that are well-structured, secure, authentic, and speed-optimized. Contact verifiable web developers such as Denver website design to handle your web projects. Be wary of individuals who purchase themes and claim to develop websites. It is risky and may result in a poor SERP ranking.
- You Use the Wrong Keywords: Using the wrong keywords affects ranking negatively. Use the right keywords in the meta tag and h1 titles of your website content.
- Your Website Has Been Banned: Search engines often ban websites from ranking if they breach the guidelines and engage in blackhat practices.
- Your Website Has Technical Issues: According to Denver website design, repeated technical problems will reduce the chances of ranking because crawlers only rank pages that are stable and accessible.