Decoding Employment Passes and S Passes: What’s the Difference?

Singapore is a country that is experiencing rapid technological development due to its dynamic economy. Highly skilled professionals from all over the world are drawn to the country, especially because of its rapid rate of growth, which allows them to become well-paid experts in their area of expertise. Singapore operates on a “Quota and Levy” system, and this system allows the government to limit the number of foreign workers in the country via quotas.

Compared to other countries, in Singapore, there are certain customs and laws that regulate the working arrangements of foreign residents. Chief among these is the Work Pass, which must be completed by non-citizen workers. The Ministry of Manpower (MOM) is the body responsible for managing Line Pass-related matters, and they issue two types of these permits: the Employment Pass (EP) and the Skilled Pass. But How are Employment Pass (EP) and S Pass Different? We will discuss in the article:

The difference between EP and S Pass

Employment Pass (EP) and S Pass work permits allow foreign workers to legally work in local companies and institutions and live in Singapore. The requirements vary from one holder to another, such as the minimum salary weight that must be provided to the recipient. The qualification and level of expertise of the pass holder also vary. The quota and levy system also differs from holder to pass holder. For more information, see the medical insurance policy. Here, we are discussing some of the general differences as follows.

immigrations concultant

Minimum Salary Requirements

To be eligible to apply for an Epass, applicants must be employed with an organization in Singapore that currently agrees to pay them a minimum of S$4,500 monthly. These applicants, if they are older and have excellent qualifications and experience, will only be required to earn a salary of S$ 3,000 monthly to qualify for an Epass. Applicants under 26 years of age also must meet a salary requirement of S$ 2,500.

Skill Level

The Employment Pass (EP) is the main work pass for foreign professionals working in Singapore. The S Pass is a work pass for mid-skilled foreign workers. To qualify for an EP, you must have a relevant degree, professional qualification or specialist skills.

Medical Insurance

There are two types of medical insurance that foreign workers in Singapore can obtain: EP and S Pass medical insurance. EP medical insurance is for foreign workers who hold an Employment Pass, and S Pass medical insurance is for foreign workers who hold an S Pass. Both types of medical insurance cover inpatient and outpatient treatment.

It is important to be aware of the difference between an Employment Pass and an S Pass when applying for a job in Singapore. An Employment Pass is meant for foreign professionals who hold a degree from a good university, while an S Pass is meant for foreign skilled workers. There are different eligibility criteria and application processes for each pass, so be sure to consult with an employment agency or the Singapore Ministry of Manpower before applying for a job.